'USB to DB25 adaptors'
Author:Rixa (guest: search)
Date: Mon, Mar 03rd, 2008 @ 02:39 ( . )

On 02/27/2008 @ 12:56, DonM wrote :
: I've also read that the PCI parallel port cards do not work with mnib...

That is bad news, I always thought add-on cards would solve the problem.

What is the problem with them, and can it not be overcome? Is the entire concept flawed or are some cards simply better than others? I know I had to try out several BIOS settings before even my integrated parallel port worked with opencbm. Mayhaps add-on ones could be tweaked in similar manner?

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'USB to DB25 adaptors'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Mon, Mar 03rd, 2008 @ 08:46 ( . )

Hi Rixa,

I am not sure of the technical problems with PCI cards, but I rely on the OpenCBM libraries to speak with the drive and they say it does not currently work.

'USB to DB25 adaptors'
Author:Joe Smith (guest: search)
Date: Mon, Mar 03rd, 2008 @ 14:51 ( . )

I had a old 486 MB, that I had to burn MR.BIOS onto it to get the PP to work with a XM1541 cable, so I could use Star Commander, I since upgraded it to a XMP1541 so that MNIB would work, I had to add the four diodes and rework a few of the wires, but I had a old tower case, so I took the guts out of a 1541 and mounted the drive in the top bay, and then mounted the circuit board in the top of the tower it had room, and I took out both regulators and jumpered them and wired it into the PC's PS, nice setup running WIN98SE, and I use MNIB for DOS works great !!

'USB to DB25 adaptors'
Author:Joe Smith (guest: search)
Date: Mon, Mar 03rd, 2008 @ 14:54 ( . )

Never thought of it til recent, you said you could still compile the DOS binaries, and you had no way to test them, well I can with my setup above. I will see if I can make a new XMP cable for a XP windows and try the opencbm MNIB ver. but so far the DOS ver works fine.

'USB to DB25 adaptors'
Author:Mayhem (guest: search)
Date: Mon, Mar 10th, 2008 @ 07:26 ( . )

Well I'm still using the DOS version of the MNIB tools so Pete has at least one reason to still compile them ;)

'USB to DB25 adaptors'
Author:Wolfgang Moser (guest: search)
Date: Tue, Mar 04th, 2008 @ 13:45 ( . )

Hi Rixa,

with OpenCBM and standalone PCI (or PCIe) parallel port cards:

It is that when an IRQ is generated on such parallel port cards, then it does not get routed into the OpenCBM driver somehow. Generating an IRQ and getting it into the openCBM driver does work flawlessly with mainboard integrated parallel ports, but not with dedicated I/O cards.

Spiro and I already invested several weeks three years ago without finding out what the true reason for this could be. From time to time I am buying a new PCI or PCIe card here and there without having had any success ntil now.

Take note: It all depends on the the ability to generate and route IRQ requests for the Windows and Linux ports of MNib/Nibtools. As long as you are using the DOS port, such dedicated I/O cards probably _do_ work, since no IRQ is needed for DOS being a non-multitasking system.

Womo

'USB to DB25 adaptors'
Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Wed, Mar 05th, 2008 @ 20:25 ( . )

womo, perhaps it has to do with the lpt device class OpenCBM is assuming. Perhaps some of them offer the irq and others don't. I'll take a moment to look at the DriverEntry to see if I can figure out why. There's no hw reason why a PCI lpt port shouldn't work.

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q79=1653055183 - Threads: / 1653055183