'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Author:Anthony Ventura (registered user: 4 posts )
Date: Tue, Oct 30th, 2007 @ 08:31 ( . )

I have a working 1571 drive with a XEP1541 Parallel/Serial cable mod on it that I would like to donate to someone here. I used it to capture Mathbusters for the project, and I really don't have a use for it now. I can ship it, and only ask that I get reimbursed for actual shipping. Just reply here.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Tue, Oct 30th, 2007 @ 09:04 ( . )

If nobody else takes you up on your offer, I'd be happy to pay shipping to get it for the project.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Author:visualmess (registered user: 47 posts )
Date: Tue, Oct 30th, 2007 @ 13:20 ( . )

I definately would be interested in this and would pay for the shipping. I was just ready to modify my 1571 with a Burstnibbler Parallel cable and the XEP adapter but if you already have it and wish to get rid of yours I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know and we can exchange emails.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Tue, Oct 30th, 2007 @ 13:46 ( . )

Is this to submit images to the project? Could you pass this on to Pete, or someone else, when you are done?

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Tue, Oct 30th, 2007 @ 14:29 ( . )

I have only submitted a few non copy protected images so far but have many Protected disks I would like to submit but I am finding some of my Maverick backed up disks like The Games:Summer Edition and Winter Edition, original rapidlok and later EA titles aren't working when I create the G64 Image using my 1541 with a Burstnibbler and a XEP adapter. I have a feeling the drive speed needs changed but the Originals do load on this drive. I was hoping the 1571 XEP combo might do the trick. I can definately submit the images but not sure if I have anything the project doesn't have yet. If there is someone else out there that has some copy protected titles and doesn't have a Serial/Parallel combo to create the images then the drive would probably better suit them.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Thu, Nov 01st, 2007 @ 09:26 ( . )

Could you pass it on to the Preservation Project (Pete) when you are done with it?

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Thu, Nov 01st, 2007 @ 12:05 ( . )

Sure can. My email is dnowka1@verizon.net. Email me so we can workout the shipping stuff.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Author:Joe Smith (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Nov 01st, 2007 @ 15:46 ( . )

On 10/30/2007 @ 14:29, visualmess wrote :
I have only submitted a few non copy protected images so far but have many Protected disks I would like to submit but I am finding some of my Maverick backed up disks like The Games:Summer Edition and Winter Edition, original rapidlok and later EA titles aren't working when I create the G64 Image using my 1541 with a Burstnibbler and a XEP adapter. I have a feeling the drive speed needs changed but the Originals do load on this drive. I was hoping the 1571 XEP combo might do the trick. I can definately submit the images but not sure if I have anything the project doesn't have yet. If there is someone else out there that has some copy protected titles and doesn't have a Serial/Parallel combo to create the images then the drive would probably better suit them.
--

I posted in here about Legend of Blacksilver, which uses the same protection as California games, and The Games Winter/Summer Editions. and a few of Epyx's sports titles, also the Loader for LA crackdown uses this. Drive speed is VERY important, I used two drives with ramboard installed into two 1541-II drives, both belt drive mech's so they can be speed adjusted, its a newtronic mech with speed control on the top of the mech, like a brown level 1541 drive. 300rpm on the source drive, and 297.5 or whatever Maverick wants the write drive to be, then I imaged the copy using NIBREAD.EXE and then did a NIBCONV.EXE to a .G64, and with vice, Start vice, and attach the .G64 and then it will load it. If you Autostart it, it will hang, so do a ALT-R and then do a load"*",8,1

Pete also has said many times that Rapidlok titles do not image correctly, its looking for track to track alignment, copies can be made only on REAL equipment, using only a C64 or C128 computer. (thank god all of the rapidlok stuff is all cracked and available all over the internet)

Still playing around with DOTC, I have a sealed copy in a squashed box, maybe I will open it, its not that collectable in a sealed squashed box, maybe its a V2 variety who knows.

Nice work on Vmax compatibility ! Pete, thanks it seems to be able to image almost any Vmax title.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Thu, Nov 01st, 2007 @ 15:51 ( . )

The newer Epyx Vorpal protection is very finicky. Not only in those special encodings, but after you process them the tracks are very long- 7800 bytes or more. I have to slow my drives way down and sometimes have to retry the write several times before it will load properly.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Fri, Nov 02nd, 2007 @ 10:43 ( . )

I have applied parameters to the later EA stuff and that seems to get them to load in VICE. So it sounds like I am going to have to play with the speed of my 1541 to get the Vorpal stuff to work and am pretty much SOL on the Rapidlok stuff. I actually cracked a Rapidlok title "Heat Wave - Accolade" (still have my hacked version of the disk) years ago and have vague memories of what I exactly did. I think I would let it load from the original to a point then freeze it using a Super Snapshot V5. This way the drive code was loaded into the 1541 and had passed the protection check. I think I then unplugged the serial port from the drive, reset the computer, plugged back in the serial cable (not very smart with the drive and computer both being on). I then was able to get (can't remeber which tool I used) the start and end addresses of the files on the disk. I would then load a file on the disk into the SSV5 built in ML monitor using the start and end address. Reset the drive (not the computer), then save that file back to a normally formatted disk. I then repeated the process for each file which I think took quite a while. I then wrote my own loader once all the files were saved to the normally formatted disk. And wala it worked. So I am guessing this title had no actual protection checks in the code itself. Great memories all brought back becuase of this project. Thanks Pete for starting this project otherwise my Commodore stuff would still be collecting dust.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Fri, Nov 02nd, 2007 @ 11:37 ( . )

All of the EA protections load fine in VICE without patching, as far as I can remember. I don't recall that any don't work, although some of them can take a few tries to get a good image, depending on the condition of the original.

Some disks will also not read properly on a 1541-II, but will read fine on a 1571 or 1541.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Fri, Nov 02nd, 2007 @ 12:27 ( . )

One EA original I remember for sure that didn't work for me was Skyfox II. It loads on my 1541 and that is the drive I use with the burstnibbler and XEP adapter. The .G64 created would not load in VICE. I then applied a parameter to it and it worked fine. I don't believe my drive is out of alignment, could this be a speed issue again? I will retry the disks I had problems with when I receive the 1571+XEP from Anthony.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Fri, Nov 02nd, 2007 @ 13:03 ( . )

Here are some other EA titles I only got to work by applying a parameter
Chuch Yaegers Adv Flight Trainer
Kings of the Beach
PHM Pegasus
World Tour Golf

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Fri, Nov 02nd, 2007 @ 13:29 ( . )

They'll all work without "patching" but the pirateslayer track (usually track 2) has no sync, so you have about a 1/8 chance of getting the track imaged properly the first time due to VICE not reframing data on the fly like a real drive.

I usually just manually reframe (bitshift) that track in the image until it runs.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Mon, Nov 05th, 2007 @ 10:20 ( . )

OK that makes sense then because these all did load on my 1541 drive that I imaged them from. Since I am a nOOb... is the reframe (Bitshift) something I do to the .nib file before creating the .G64 or is it a parm used with NIBCONV. Do you have any instructions on how to do this? Sorry to be a pain.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Mon, Nov 05th, 2007 @ 13:35 ( . )

No problem at all. pshift is a hack, by the way, so it's not documented.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Mon, Nov 05th, 2007 @ 10:47 ( . )

I think I found the answer to my ? on bitshifting the image. Do I do this through the use of pshift [-t] [-b] infile against the .nib file?

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Mon, Nov 05th, 2007 @ 13:33 ( . )

Exactly. In the case of Pirateslayer, some of the older ones are on track 36 and 37, while most of them are checking track 2.

In the case of track 2, you would experiment by entering.

pshift -b1 -t2 image.nib

Convert the result (it adds a 2 on the end of the image name) into G64 and try it. If it still locks up, then do it again (on the original image) with

pshift -b2 -t2 image.nib

'b' is the number of bits to shift the track and 't' is the track number. Eventually you'll stumble on the right number and it will pass the protection.

nibread could probably detect this and do it automatically, but I just haven't had time to do it.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Tue, Nov 06th, 2007 @ 11:38 ( . )

I am going through each image and so far I have been lucky that each has worked after the first pshift -b1 -t2 image.nib command. Thanks for the help!

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Tue, Nov 06th, 2007 @ 12:06 ( . )

I'd appreciate it if you could submit all your images to me when you get the chance. It gives you access to the database.

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Tue, Nov 06th, 2007 @ 12:55 ( . )

Do you want them in .nib or .g64 format or both. And if the .nib format do you want the bitshifted .nib or the original .nib?

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Author:pcollins (registered user: 14 posts )
Date: Sat, May 02nd, 2009 @ 11:02 ( . )

hello,

i look around and found some electronic arts games like: caveman ugh-lympics, skate or die and ski or die.

but how to make working g64 files?

and i read something about "pshift -b1 -t2 image.nib" ??

how to use this?
please give me a step by step manual.

regards pcollins

'1571+ XEP1541 Donation'
Date: Sat, May 02nd, 2009 @ 18:17 ( . )

Tracks without sync have to be processed to work with current emulators, as they work on byte-boundaries only.

For these to work, you must bitshift the sync-less tracks and I don't have an automated way to do that.

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q349=1670103892 - Threads: / 1670103892