'Legend OF blacksilver'
Author:Joe Smith (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Sep 08th, 2007 @ 22:19 ( . )

Tried remastering Legend of Blacksilver, and it doesnt work, did a nibconv to a G64 and that doesnt work either, I also copied it with maverick and a ramboard, and the copy works on a real 64, but the nibread copy converted to a G64 does not work, what am I doing wrong, I was able to nibread and nibconv Rocket Ranger and that worked perfectly in winvice. I search all posts for LEGEND on here ,and you mention reframing the image, how can this be done ???

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Sun, Sep 09th, 2007 @ 10:55 ( . )

It can only be remastered by slowing the drive *way* down. 295-296 RPM if I remember correctly.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Author:Rixa (guest: search)
Date: Mon, Sep 17th, 2007 @ 18:22 ( . )

I also copied it with maverick and a ramboard, and the copy works on a real 64, but the nibread copy converted to a G64 does not work, what am I doing wrong

I find that vice can not autoload such a copy, but will load it if you type in LOAD"*",8,1 manually. If it doesn't load at first, reset the emulator and try again.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Mon, Sep 17th, 2007 @ 21:45 ( . )

The reframing/processing is only needed when an original disk is converted to a G64, not a Maverick-copied version. The Maverick copied version is essentially the same as the way I process it since it was deduced from disassembling their routine. :)

The images that I use are actually images of the Maverick-copied versions since they were the same and were more easily remastered anyway.

Anyway, what you're doing should work so I don't know why it doesn't for you. Rixa brings up a good point that they will not autoboot on VICE. Also, I haven't tried newer versions of VICE lately- I understand the disk code is going through some changes from version to version with respect to disk rotation emulation.

SuperCard is the only copier that will make a working and still fully-protected copy and does not reframe the image. The process it uses seems simple (autogap) and I've reproduced that mode from the description of it, but I've still not been able to copy that protection without modification.

Once I figured out the framing change, I sort of lost interest, but may gain it again one day. There are only a small handful of games using this protection and we have them all archived and working to my knowledge.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Fri, Sep 21st, 2007 @ 12:46 ( . )

On 09/17/2007 @ 21:45, Pete Rittwage wrote :

: Once I figured out the framing change, I sort of lost interest, but may gain it again one day. There are only a small handful of games using this protection and we have them all archived and working to my knowledge.
--

so to make a G64 that works in Winvice, are you saying you do not need to change the drive speed??, you only change the drive speed when you write the image back to a original disk?, what I did was nibread in dos and did the convert to G64 and that does not work in winvice, It shows a load"$",8 and you can do a load"*",8,1 and then the screen blanks out and thats it, nothing else happens, and winvice shows the track on 19, I have true drive emulation with device traps, setup as a 1541, no extra options. I tried both a nibread on a ramboard copy and the master epyx original. so my last question to do a nibread does the drive speed stay at 300 or does that even matter if it was at 297.5 ???

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Fri, Sep 21st, 2007 @ 14:25 ( . )

Drive speed only needs to be changed if you are remastering from a NIB image, not with imaging or converting to G64.

I was able to make an image of the Maverick copied version, convert to G64, and it boots with no problem for me.

If you image the original disk, it will start to load, but then get stuck on the tracks with no sync (2,4,6,8, etc.).

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Mon, Oct 15th, 2007 @ 01:01 ( . )

Well It works just like Rixa said, finally got the image to work inside winvice, strange I have ramboard in both of my 1541-2 drives, and the source speed was a little too slow, it was just below 300 rpm, the target speed was right on the money, but it wouldnt work until the source speed was at 300 rpm, and you cannot autostart the image, you have to mount it and then manually type load"*",8,1 also did california games at it works also. same problem you cannot autostart the image, and the drive source speed has to be at 300rpm,

Did you use two drive Pete, or just one drive ???

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Author:Lord Crass (guest: search)
Date: Wed, Oct 17th, 2007 @ 19:35 ( . )

How did you adjust the speed on a 1541-II? I thought that almost all of these were direct-drive mechanisms that required some additional circuitry to speed-adjust.

If you have a link to schematics, I'd be very interested. Especially if it covers 1571 as well.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Thu, Oct 18th, 2007 @ 17:37 ( . )

Lord Crass, there are two types of 1541-2's its easy to tell the difference from the front, the direct drive model has a thicker lever on the front from front to back, and is recessed in the moulding, and does not have any adjustment for speed control. The belt drive model has a thinner lever that is not recessed into the front bezel, is a newtronics mech, and has the speed control on the top of the mech, just like a lever 1541 drive does.

I also have a 1571 that has been modified to control the speed of the direct drive motor. It involves soldering two wires to a potentiometer, and a switch to un-connect it. I sent all of this to womo. send me a email and I will dig out all the pictures I sent him about it, I havent tried to see if it can be retro'd into a direct drive 41-2. A lot of the traces are under the magnet spindle assembly on the bottom and you cannot see much, I might pull it apart and hopefully not damage the spindle assembly and see if I can tac some small wire onto some points and do some testing. (Would be nice to finally come up with a solution for these drives since Software Support never did, or neither Did Free Spirit

Been playing around with a enhancer 2000 drive, strange I have two flavors a brown and a white one, the brown one has a copy of 2.6 CBM does, but still is not very compatible, and the white one has Enhancer 2000 v2.0 dos, same thing, but the brown one has almost the same dos as whats in a Excelerator plus drive, there is only 8 byte difference, but the Excelerator dos wont work in the Enhancer even after building a adapter to switch dataline D3 and D4 to decode it correctly, it just flashes its led light, I have a valid dump of the Excelerator dos, so I put a 1541-2 rom into the Enhancer 2000 and now it loads Defender of the Crown finally, and seems to work on all the other V-max and Vorpal ramboard copier needed based games. And I dumped the Jiffydos for the first time for the Excelerator plus FSD-2 and not getting garbage. The brown one has a bad 2k sram, gets hot hot hot!, so I am going to socket it, and put a different sram chip and see if that fixes it tonite.

bluebirdpod@yahoo.com

'DOTC V1'
Date: Thu, Oct 25th, 2007 @ 16:15 ( . )

Strange, the 2ksram did indeed fix the Enhancer 2000 drive, it loads almost everything now with 1541-2 dos in it, but strangly it has a problem with Defender of the Crown!, just like Pete had problems getting a good image, when the drive is cold and been turned off for a while it seems to load the original, I can see it just past 18 and do a sync check, that always passes, then the head moves fast toward track 1, well it doesnt seem to always make it to the track it needs, and just sits there, sometimes it moves the head more and some times less, but it always goes to the sync track ,then moves toward track one, strange though,, I did the maverick copy, mine are all V1 DOTC's and even the patched copies do the same, but strangly sometimes it loads all the way up, but usually only when the drive is cold, So I tried freeze spray, and that doesnt change a thing. Put it in a real 1541-2 drive, and it always loads up. The Enhancer 2000 seems to be much much more compatible, it loads Renegade, Alcon, Arkanoid 1+2 3stooges rocket ranger, and almost every EA title (which is the ones it really hated the most) It seems to be fine with Rapid-lok stuff just fine, even with its own dos.
Must be a timing problem, But I guess I was wondering Pete if the Maverick copier is actually reading something from that sync track, usually a patching parameter does not need to read anything from a original to patch a copy, and there are two variants in Maverick V1 and V2 Defender of the crown parameters. Seems to jump to the sync track and read something there, and then write that along with byte patches. And then on side two seems it patchs bytes again. strange, did they do a nibble check on side two at some point ???

I also used the DOTC paramater on Supercard 5.0 , non PLUS version. And it even needs the original disk.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Author:Rixa (guest: search)
Date: Tue, Sep 25th, 2007 @ 16:26 ( . )

On 09/21/2007 @ 12:46, Joe Smith wrote :
: so to make a G64 that works in Winvice, are you saying you do not need to change the drive speed??

If you have Maverick-made backups of the original floppies that work in a real c64, you should be able to read them with nibread and produce .g64 images that work in vice. At least I didn't have any problem doing so.

At first I thought they didn't work, though, because autoloading them didn't. (But I already said that)

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Author:SaxxonPike (registered user: 16 posts )
Date: Fri, Oct 30th, 2009 @ 12:57 ( . )

I know this seems to be a pretty old thread. But I was digging around in the G64 and the game, compared it to the cracked version(s), and noticed/considered a few things.

1) It appears that only every other track has sync marks. During loading, I'm thinking it's possible that it searches for sync on the one track then quickly skips over to the nonstandard sync track (relative syncing)

2) I am thinking about shifting the track data a bit just as an experiment. It appears that the track data starts after FF 55 and the sync length varies a little but is always at least those two bytes (and can be extended another 14 bits from what I can observe) but it is definitely nonstandard. Something makes me wonder if this skew is actually right on the edge of "barely passing" protection since successfully loading it in VICE seems to be random.

I'll dig into this more and see what I can find.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Fri, Oct 30th, 2009 @ 12:59 ( . )

Also, to get the images to auto-boot in VICE, you need to turn off "Virtual Device Traps". This function, when enabled, actually switches off "True Drive Emulation" when first accessing files and turns it back on when necessary, but it's too late when VICE does it for this particular title.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Fri, Oct 30th, 2009 @ 14:50 ( . )

It doesn't lock onto sync from another track as you mentioned- Vorpal doesn't need or care about sync. Sync is more of a hardware thing to assure framing, the bytes collected from the shift registers don't care about framing. :)

You are correct about the special headers. Vorpal has it's own and looks for that to provide it's own framing on those tracks. Since there is no hardware framing, it "floats" when we try to read it with our routines, so we have to reframe it after the imaging process. You'll find it floats out of framing 2-4 times per revolution on average when attempted to be read as a complete stream per rotation.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Fri, Oct 30th, 2009 @ 17:21 ( . )

So would you suggest the only thing that needs to be done to the original Legend of Blacksilver images (at least, the ones I found on GameBase64) is reframing to increase their success rate?

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Author:bluebirdpod (registered user: 28 posts )
Date: Tue, Nov 03rd, 2009 @ 11:04 ( . )

Well there are lots of differences between the cracked and original, the cracked version has all files on all four disks and has a special dos written by Mitch of Eaglesoft, all versions floating around the Inet are from His crack, there are a bunch of imports with Eaglesofts screen ripped out, and replaced, but I did a bunch of comparing years ago, and they are all the same. Disk side three was corrupted and it took a while to locate a good copy.

'Legend OF blacksilver'
Date: Sat, Jan 09th, 2010 @ 18:53 ( . )

I suppose that would explain why the originals are so many times faster than Mitch's cracked version - as well as why when loading it jumps all over the disk.

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q192=1670104914 - Threads: / 1670104914