'am I unlucky or am I pushing the compute'
Author:hyper active (registered user: 296 posts )
Date: Mon, Oct 18th, 2010 @ 17:47 ( . )

Hi there.
for about 5 months now I've been having terrible trouble with windows delayed write failure error messages. Actually the problems have been happening outside
windows too, IE, while restoring my backups using IFD.
I've replaced almost every component in my computer. the cdrom drive, both hard drives, the memory, the fans, the power supply, all thats left to replace
is the video card, the soundcard and, Heaven forbid, the motherboard.
in May of this year, the boot drive gave me a s.m.a.r.t warning that it was about to die on me, so I had it replaced.
Then a couple of Months later I started to get windows delayed write failure error messages, and spinrite said that something was wrong with the hard drive
as well.
My computer guy thought the errors indicated that something else was wrong, so we replaced other hardware components (see above).
at the end of August we replaced the boot drive again and everything seemed to be humming along nicely. But then last week I started getting delayed write
failure errors again.
and no, I do not have my pc overclocked, and just a couple weeks ago I installed windows xpsp3 as some know-it-all suggested it would fix the issue and
refused to listen to my arguments about IFD and Spinrite which both operate outside of windows.
and Just yesterday, I got an error while restoring my backup (unable to write to device)
Could open-cbm and nibtools be pushing the computer too hard? is this why I've had to replace the hard drive twice or am I just unlucky?

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Tue, Oct 19th, 2010 @ 22:09 ( . )

Are you getting the delayed write errors regarding an external (USB or eSATA) harddrive? If so, you need to eject it properly beforehand. If not and it's the internal drive, it could be the drive failing, BIOS problems, drive firmware, etc. I'd try a different setting in the BIOS (UDMA100 or whatever).

Date: Wed, Oct 20th, 2010 @ 04:53 ( . )

Hi there.
No I am not using any USB hard drive, 2 drives failing within 6 months?
It must be the motherboard then.

Author:bluebirdpod (registered user: 28 posts )
Date: Wed, Oct 20th, 2010 @ 10:43 ( . )

What brand of HDD are you purchasing ? there are a rash of Seagate drives failing. Get a Hitachi Deskstar, those are the most reliable drives right now. There is a great article about HDD reliability on [link]

Date: Wed, Oct 20th, 2010 @ 13:37 ( . )

Hi. the hard drives I'm using so far are western digital and sampsung.

Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Wed, Oct 20th, 2010 @ 15:06 ( . )

That is a huge problem that we've seen in our business also. There are incompatibilities with AHCI drivers and hard disks that crop up, with updates and firmware updates to both. It's almost as if nobody really agreed on a SATA/AHCI standard.

I would set the BIOS to IDE and see if that clears the errors. The performance loss should really be minimal to none in the tests I've seen.

Date: Wed, Oct 20th, 2010 @ 23:36 ( . )

it's one of those annoying intermittent faults that just crop up out of nowhere. For several days now it's been fine, no errors, no reboots or anything.
I'm starting to wonder if it's got something to do with the household power supply.

Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Oct 21st, 2010 @ 20:00 ( . )

I agree with Pete. Try a different setting (IDE, AHCI, etc.) Upgrade the BIOS of your computer. Upgrade the drive firmware. Google around a bit to see if your mobo or drive has known problems with ATA.

Date: Sun, Oct 24th, 2010 @ 18:38 ( . )

Actually, it does seem to be temperature related. Now when the room gets a bit warm the hard drive starts playing up and I get the windows delayed write failure.
I've never had this much problem with my computer though and I've been doing the world community grid and other distributed computing projects for years.
My machine is well ventilated, it's got 4 fans in it, and lots of air holes. the hard drive is becoming more sensitive to temperature changes every day the errors are happening more frequently now.

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q100=1664256715 - Threads: / 1664256715